Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Oh Say Can You Crochet?


You may remember I have mentioned many times that, despite the fact that I make afghans using yarn and a crochet hook, I really don’t know how to crochet. I never knew the names of the stitches and I had no idea how to follow a pattern. I know what knitting is supposed to look like so I can count the stitches and it is easy to spot a mistake. Crochet is a bunch of lumps and bumps and I have not gotten well enough acquainted with the intricacies of stitches to tell one from the other.

So…ta da…I took a class. There were four of us in the group at Yarn Garden and my experience with not knowing what I was doing but doing it anyway did put me a step ahead as the others were learning how to hold the hook. So I learned to make a chain, sc (single crochet) into that chain, and add dc (double crochet) for increased stitch height. I made a little square. A teeny tiny potholder.

Then I bit the bullet and started the project I have been wanting to make. I’ve had the pattern for months. That little bit of knowledge got me going and I got the bag started during the class. And I am clicking along here at home. When I get enough rounds of loops that the bag measures 12¨ I will hit a snag. Linda and Monica are standing by and the class instructor has made herself available by e-mail. So I am soldiering on.

You will agree I need another mesh market bag!

1 comment:

monica said...

Hi Pat, Your crochet looks great!
You probably found out that you knew more than you thought you did. Keep up the good work and soon you'll be doing up an afghan :)
See you around