Saturday, February 3, 2007

Feltin’ Good In the Neighborhood


Back in 1995, I discovered felting. It was all the rage then and I bought some wool yarn at a little knit shop in San Francisco called Atelier Yarns http://www.atelieryarns.com/ I bought a pattern from the Brown Sheep Company for a Fabulous Felted Hat and set out to knit a giant baggy object that eventually did magically turn into something I could wear on my head. Made with double strands, the yarn ended up costing a fortune. Afterwards I washed it in hot water to shrink and mat it, and then I molded it over a bowl the approximate size of my head to dry. That didn’t work so I just put it on and wore it till it was dry. Talk about “hat head”! I have it still although I rarely wear it. I made one for my daughter as well and hers still hangs on a chair back in her room. I need to re-felt them as they have gotten larger over time. So I will throw them in with the new project I am starting (see below).

This technique laid dormant for about ten years and then I ventured into felting again while I was living in Osceola. I saw a little clutch in The Studio, a knit shop in Kansas City http://www.thestudiokc.com and purchased the wool yarn (Noro) and pattern to make it. I entered it in the Missouri State Fair, but, unlike my quilt, it did not win a prize. It’s still pretty cute, I think. I intended to line it, but...

Now I have need for a tote bag (you can never have enough bags!) and I think I will try to design my own pattern. I’m ready to try felting again. I'm starting with a 29" size 13 circular needle and some Cascade Peruvian wool. Casting on 100 stitches and using double strands, one of Colonial blue and one of Lichen Green. I'll make handles/straps by knitting an I-cord which is always fun. This should go very quickly and I will take it along this week to one of my craft groups. I need shrinkage advice from a skilled felter. Not sure when to stop. I seem to remember it shrinks quite a bit side to side, but not sure about top to bottom. I guess I'll find out. Anyway...a perfect project to start while watching the Super Bowl!

Stay tuned to watch the progress of the Quickie Felted Tote. Photos will appear on the website at some point in the not too far distant future. Keep coming back!

No comments: