Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Fiber By Any Other Name




This is primarily a knitting blog because knitting is my primary activity. But I also crochet, tat, quilt, weave, do needlepoint, embroidery and macramé. So from time to time I will stray into the outer reaches of fiberdom and report on things I have, or have not, done in those areas. Today let’s talk about needlepoint which provided a “busy hands” occupation while I was quitting smoking. That was in 1996 and I haven’t done any since, partly because that also coincided in time with my getting tri-focals and being unable to focus. (Well…that’s what I blamed it on anyway.)

My sister was a prolific needlepointer and I have a box of her work in my Giant Craft Stash that I plan to get out and make into pillows or frame and hang on the wall. That project has joined the queue of Projects Waiting In the Wings. Several of my own canvasses are in there as well. And one stitched by my mother (that would be fifty years ago). I will be able to cover quite a bit of wall space when I finally get around to this. Or fill up several room-sized couches.

Anyhow…here is a Sun Pillow made from a kit purchased at the Irish Craft Store on Geary in San Francisco. There was a matching Moon kit that I should have bought at the same time. It would have made a nice pair. This one sits on a chair in my dining room along with a Seashell Pillow my friend Lin made for me. A finished Fruit Pillow my sister made spends its days on my bed. Needlepoint is a genteel sport that has fallen out of favor these days. Is it time to bring it back?

No comments: