Saturday, January 27, 2007

January Cnyttenings:

Yarn Yoga: We met on January 15th at Craft Warehouse and the ladies (no men in this group although Portland does have a Men Who Knit contingent) showed their felted projects. Guess who did not join in. I just had too much going on to start learning to punch roving although it did look like a great activity for releasing anger. Not too much in Show and Tell. We talked about current trends (socks) and what is falling out of fashion (novelty yarns). I don’t consider those loom things “knitting” but they are a fiber craft and one lady was making an awesome baby blanket on an oblong-shaped loom. The Challenge Swatch for February 19th is Tweeded Mock Ribbing. Pattern will follow in another posting. After I finish it. If I do.

Knit for Fun (Fairview Library): January 2007 meeting cancelled due to major weather considerations as the Pacific Northwest was hit by a major snowstorm.

St. Luke the Physician Episcopal Church Ladies: I admit I missed on both Thursdays, the 11th and the 18th. I wonder who did make it as we are all in the “Senior Driver” category and tend to stay home when the streets are sheets of ice. On the 23rd Karla brought her inventory of felted tote bags. Norma was finishing an awesome black and white feather boa. Arletta churns out a potholder a week with her speedy crochet hook. Some ladies just sit and watch the rest of us and enjoy the collegial atmosphere (and the delicious treats!).

New on the Horizon: A small knit shop called Yarnin’ Around has opened in Gresham right down the street from the Library and there is an open invitation to drop by on Wednesday afternoons from 2:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. and…surprise, surprise…sit and knit. I enjoyed meeting the owner Ramona and seeing Jen, my friend from Yarn Yoga. I will continue to go to this group as well.

No comments: